- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine passed a bill banning Russian propaganda and symbols used during the war against Ukraine.
- However, there are some exceptions when the use of prohibited symbols will not be punished.
- We offer to get acquainted with the plate with forbidden symbols (all, even bypass).
Ukraine has introduced criminal penalties for propaganda of Russian Federation, the Putin bloody regime and the use of symbols shared by the aggressor state during the invasion of Ukraine. Violators will be imprisoned for up to five years.
Zaborona explains everything you need to know about the ban on Russian propaganda and symbols in Ukraine.
The bill about the ban on propaganda of the Putin’s regime: details
Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine passed the bill №7214 about the ban on propaganda of the Russian neo-Nazi totalitarian regime and the symbols used by the occupiers in Ukraine. It also states that Russia is a terrorist state. The bill was initiated by 19 deputies from the European Solidarity (Yevropeis’ka solidarnist’) and Servant of the People (Sluha Narodu) parties.
“In terms of scale, approach and ideology, the Russian Federation follows the principles introduced by the fascist and Nazi regimes of Hitler, Mussolini and others. Therefore, the fact that the Russian Federation is engaged in state terrorism, and its political regime has signs of totalitarian and even neo-Nazi, is an obvious fact for the whole world. Recognizing this at the level of law, Ukraine will thus set an example for other countries to join the community of states that perceive Putin’s Russia as a typical neo-Nazi regime,” said in an explanatory note signed by Mykola Kniazhytskyi, MP of European Solidarity.
What is provided by the bill banning propaganda of the Putin’s regime:
- supplementing the Ukrainian legislation with new terms “terrorist state” and “symbols of the military invasion of the Russian neo-Nazi totalitarian regime in Ukraine”;
- recognition of the letters “Z” and “V” as symbols of Russian military invasion of Ukraine;
- recognition of Russia as a terrorist state, which set itself the goal of organizing the genocide of the Ukrainian people, committing its physical destruction, mass murder of Ukrainian citizens, committing international crimes against civilians, using prohibited methods of war, destroying civilian objects and critical infrastructure, etc;
- banning any propaganda of the Russian neo-Nazi totalitarian regime, an act of aggression against Ukraine by Russia as a terrorist state, including the use of symbols of invasion;
- supplementing the Law on Combating Terrorism with an additional clause to the term “terrorist activity” on the propaganda of the Russian neo-Nazi totalitarian regime.
Violations will be punishable by up to five years in prison.
|Latin letter “V” (forbidden only by a single letter, in the context of the Russian invasion)||It is prohibited to replace this symbol by Cyrillic “В” or “Ф” with the preservation of the context.|
|Latin letter “Z” (forbidden only by a single letter, in the context of the Russian invasion)||It is prohibited to replace this symbol by Cyrillic “З” or “С” with the preservation of the context.|
|Russian Armed Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Air Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Ground Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Navy||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Special Operations Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Strategic Rocket Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Russian Airborne Forces||Emblems, flags, stripes, memorials, inscriptions, images.|
|Other symbols||Any symbols used on the military equipment of the occupiers or related to the Russian invasion.|
However, the use of these symbols will not always be prosecuted, explained in the analytical center of the Institute of Legislative Ideas.
In these cases, the use of prohibited symbols will be considered as legal:
- in museum expositions, thematic exhibitions, the Museum Fund of Ukraine, as well as library funds on various media;
- in the process of scientific activity, including scientific research;
- on the originals of battle flags;
- during the presentation or reconstruction of historical events;
- in private collections and private archival collections;
- in manuals, textbooks and other materials of scientific, educational type, as well as in works of art (only if it does not lead to the propaganda of Russia’s military aggression against Ukraine).
Russian fascist symbols are prohibited even under such conditions:
- the use of the print media to promote such symbols;
- registration of the media outlets, the name of which contains such symbols;
- registration of trademarks with such symbols;
- promotion of news agencies materials containing such symbols;
- use in the name of companies and firms;
- use in geographical names;
- formation and activity of public associations, the purpose or actions of which are aimed at promoting such symbols.
Earlier, Zaborona reported on the strengthening of criminal liability for looting and collaboration in Ukraine.